I-STREET Recognized by Florida Legislature

The Florida legislature recently recognized the University of Florida’s Transportation Institute (UFTI) I-STREET program with the passage of Senate Bill 64 and House Bill 425 – emphasizing collaboration with other universities in Florida and transportation companies around the world.

I-STREET (aka Implementing Solutions from Transportation Research and Evaluation of Emerging Technologies) has been in existence since 2017, conducting research sponsored by local, state and national agencies, and collaborating with several universities and companies to develop state-of-the-art traffic management systems that enhance safety and mobility.

Dr. Pruthvi Manjunatha

I-STREET is unique because it’s a “living lab” environment with open-road testing, built in collaboration with the Florida Department of Transportation and the City of Gainesville. According to I-STREET Manager, Dr. Pruthvi Manjunatha, they have tested software and equipment across Florida (see map.) In 2023, they hosted a statewide industry showcase funded by FDOT and attended by over 40 companies. They also co-hosted the Florida Plugfest with FDOT and OmniAir at SunTrax in Auburndale.

According to the new legislation, I-STREET will continue to be a resource for the Legislature, FDOT, local governments and national metropolitan regions, as well as the private sector in transportation. I-STREET is tasked with providing the state with a comprehensive annual report that outlines its goals, efforts and progress.

Furthermore, the legislature created the I-STREET advisory board, which will meet periodically to review its research program and will consist of nine members with expertise in transportation-related areas. In addition to including four members nominated by the University of Florida’s College of Engineering and approved by the University’s president, it will include a member appointed by the President of the Senate, a member appointed by the Speaker of the House of 279 Representatives, the Secretary of Transportation or his or her designee, the Secretary of Economic Opportunity or his or her designee and a member of the Florida Transportation Commission.

The UF College of Engineering’s nominees will include representatives of the University of Florida, other academic and research institutions and private entities. Emerging transportation technology companies who partner with I-STREET have access to Connected Autonomous Vehicle (CAV) and technology data and may work with I-STREET to test the functionality and effectiveness of their transportation safety and mobility solutions. Research projects conducted by I-STREET produce and evaluate tools targeting widescale implementation. I-STREET staff work closely with UF Innovate to support startups and productize innovations.

UFTI has recently developed an Industry Partnership Program that allows companies to contribute annually at one of three financial levels. These contributions support UFTI and I-STREET independent research, technology, and innovation in transportation, as well as student scholarships and fellowships. Contributions range from 5,000 to 50,000 dollars a year. Benefits vary depending upon the contribution level. Additional information is provided here:

Ada Lang
UFTI Communications Specialist