WTS Board for 2020-2021

The WTS chapter at the University of Florida aims to establish a college-based student community that focuses on advancing women in transportation through professional workshops, networking, and community service. Meet the recently appointed board members of Advancing Women in Transportation, University of Florida chapter for 2020-2021: 

Mary Jeghers, Ph.D. Student, Department of Occupational Therapy  

President 

Mary Jeghers, President

“For the 2020-2021 school year, I am looking forward to building relationships and learning from leaders in the transportation field. This year, we have a very diverse team with students from occupational therapy, public health, urban and regional planning, and transportation engineering backgrounds. I am excited to explore our team’s passion for transportation-related topics regarding advocacy, gender equality, and addressing disparities for underserved areas.” 

Arielle Hernandez, M.S. Student, Department of Urban and Regional Planning 

Vice President 

Arielle Hernandez, Vice President

“As the 2020-2021 WTS Vice President, I’m looking forward to making connections and establishing relationships with other women who share my career goals. I also hope to use my position to uplift the voices of and advocate for the most marginalized people in our community, taking a step towards greater equity in the world of transportation. I’m looking forward to creating meaningful events and resources for women in transportation, and increasing our presence on UF’s campus!” 

Shabnam Medhizadah, Ph.D. Student, Department of Occupational Therapy 

Treasurer 

Shabnam Medhizadah, Treasurer

“As an executive member of the WTS group, I am looking forward to the opportunity to expand and widen the inclusion of individuals from diverse fields who in collaboration can bring innovation, new ideas, and change to the world of transportation.” 

Elisabeth Staten, B.S. Student, Department of Urban and Regional Planning 

Secretary 

Elisabeth Staten, Secretary

“I am excited for the opportunity to serve on the board of this organization and meet other women interested in the transportation sector. I look forward to learning how to expand gender equality in transportation and helping spread awareness of this issue.” 

Carlyn Ellison, Ph.D. Student, Department of Occupational Therapy 

Newsletter/Website Chair 

Carlyn Ellison, Newsletter/Website Chair

“I am excited to join a group of women from a variety of disciplines focusing on professional development in transportation. I am looking forward to my position in which I will have the opportunity to engage current and potential members of WTS to expand our networking capabilities.” 

Leonida Kibet, Ph.D. Student, Department of Transportation Engineering 

Program/Event Chair 

Leonida Kibet, Program/Event Chair

“As a Program/Events Chair for the WTS, I plan to effectively facilitate informative and interesting programs that will provide members with a great platform for networking. I am looking forward to a fruitful year with the WTS!”