Materials and Infrastructure
This area has been established to conduct research, education and service activities in the field of infrastructures and related materials. It is devoted to promote sustainable practices in infrastructure engineering, enhance understanding of distress mechanisms and failure modes, develop testing and conditioning procedures to improve material characterization, and develop design approaches for pavement systems and foundations that optimize performance.
- Characterization of soil deposits, soil properties and soil variability
- Advanced sensing technologies
- Assessment and monitoring of geosystems and pavements
- Testing and characterization of asphalt binders and mixtures
- Understanding of distress mechanisms and failure modes
- Development of performance-based specifications for characterization and design
- Tire-pavement interaction
- Material recycling and reuse technologies
- Nano-modification and polymer modification of materials
- Computer/numerical modeling of material behavior
The UFTI facilities are available for advanced performance testing of infrastructure materials under a variety of conditions.
Field Sensing Systems
- In situ (including CPT, DMT, PMT)
- Geophysical (SASW, downhole, crosshole, electrical resistivity)
- Sensors (active, passive, wireless, smart)
- Environmental Scanning Electron Microscope (ESEM)
- Static and dynamic triaxial, hollow cylinder, torsional, shear, resonant column
- Five closed-loop servo-hydraulically controlled loading frames (5-kip to 220-kip capacity)
- Partial saturation capabilities (triaxial, torsional shear, etc.)
- Durability laboratory (sulfates, chlorides, etc.)
Asphalt Binder and Mixture Laboratory
- Servopac gyratory compactor and gyratory testing machine (GTM)
- Rheology, aging, Fournier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), binder extraction & recovery
- Binder conditioning (RTFO, PAV, CPPC)
- Complete Superpave binder (RV, DSR, BBR) and mixture (IDT) testing capabilities
- Fracture binder test
- Dog-bone direct tension test
- Composite specimen interface cracking (CSIC) test
- Aggregate imaging machine system (AIMS)
- X-ray computed tomography
- 16-node Silicon Graphics Inc parallel processor supercomputer
- Multiple workstations and PCs
Christopher Ferraro, Ph.D.
Assistant in Engineering
Focus:Structures and Materials
Dennis Hiltunen, Ph.D., P.E.
Focus: Soil dynamics, earthquake engineering, geophysical characterization, instrumentation, experimental testing of soils
George A. Lopp .
Associate in Engineering
Focus: Instrumentation, servo-hydraulic testing of pavement structures, testing of roadway materials, pavement design and performance analysis of Superpave, 3D X-ray tomographic imaging
Ana P. Mohseni, Ph.D.
Focus: Numerical modeling software
Reynaldo Roque, Ph.D., P.E.
Focus: Roadway material characterization, pavement response, design and evaluation, non-destructive testing of pavements, geotechnical engineering
Mang Tia, Ph.D., P.E.
Focus: Concrete and asphalt materials, concrete and asphalt pavements, instrumentation
Recent Research Projects
|Title||Principal Investigator||End Date||Agency/Source||Project Number|
|Automated Non-Destructive Evaluation||Dr. Ferraro||12/1/2013||FDOT||BDK-75-820-7|
|Long-Life Concrete Slab Replacement||Dr. Ferraro||3/1/2014||USF||2104-1193-00-A|
|Continuation of Down-Hole Geophysical Testing||Dr. Hiltunen||11/1/2013||FDOT||BDK-75-977-51|
|Use of Aggregate Imaging System (AIMS)||Dr. Roque||8/1/2013||FDOT||BDK-75-977-44|
|Validation & Refinement of Mixture Volumetrics||Dr. Roque||4/1/2014||FDOT||BDK-75-977-58|
|Evaluation of NCAT Test Track Specimens (CSIC)||Dr. Roque||7/1/2013||NCAT||12-NCAT-224574-UF|
|Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement (RAP)||Dr. Roque||10/1/2014||FDOT||BDU77|
|Effect of Lime on Fracture (Phase II)||Dr. Roque||5/1/2013||Lhoist||2012-LNA-001|
|Evaluation of New Binders Using Newly Developed Binder Fracture Test||Dr. Roque||7/1/2013||FDOT||BDK-75-977-75|
|Slab Replacement Maturity Guidelines||Dr. Tia||4/1/2014||FDOT||BDK-75-977-62|
|Internally Cured Concrete for Pavement and Bridge Deck Applications||Dr. Tia||2015||FDOT||BDV31-977-11|
|Maximum Heat of Mass Concrete – Phase 2||Dr. Tia||2016||FDOT||BDV-977-07|
Zou, J.; Isola, M.; Roque, R.; Chun, S.; Koh, C.; Lopp, G. (2013). Effect of hydrated lime on fracture performance of asphalt mixture. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 44, pp. 302-308.
Chen, Y.; Tebaldi, G.; Roque, R.; Lopp, G. (2013). Development of a composite specimen interface cracking (CSIC) test for top-down cracking. Journal of Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 41(4), pp. 625-634.
Chen, Y.; Tebaldi, G.; Roque, R.; Lopp G.; Su, Y., (2012). Effects of interface condition characteristics on open-graded friction course top-down cracking. Road Materials and Pavement Design, Vol. 13 (1), pp. 56-75. (2012 W.J. Emmons Award).
Chun, S.; Roque, R.; Zou, J. (2012). Effect of gradation characteristics on performance of Superpave mixtures in the field. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2294, pp. 43-52.
Lawrence, A.; Tia, M.; Ferraro, C.; Bergin, M. (2012). Effect of early age strength on cracking in mass concrete containing different supplementary cementitious materials: experimental and finite-element investigation. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, Vol. 24(4), pp. 362-372.
Tran, K.T.; Hiltunen, D.R. (2012). One-dimensional inversion of full waveforms using a genetic algorithm. Journal of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics, Vol. 17(4), pp. 197-213
Wang, G.; Roque, R.; Morian, D. (2011). Evaluation of near-surface stress states in asphalt concrete. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2227, pp. 119-128.
Algernon, D.; Hiltunen, D.R.; Ferraro, C.; Ishee, C. (2011). Rebar detection with cover meter and ultrasonic pulse echo combined with automated scanning system. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2251, pp. 123-131.
Bekoe, P.A.; Tia, M.; Bergin, M. (2010). Concrete containing recycled concrete aggregate for use in concrete pavement. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2164, pp. 113-121.
Hossiney, N.; Tia, M.; Bergin, M. (2010). Concrete containing RAP for use in concrete pavement. International Journal of Pavement Research and Technology, Vol. 3(5), pp. 251-258.
Toros, U.; Hiltunen, D.R. (2008). Effects of moisture and time on stiffness of unbound aggregate base course materials. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2059, pp. 41-51.
Birgisson, B.; Montepara, A.; Romeo, E.; Roque, R.; Roncella, R.; Tebaldi, G. (2007), Determination of Fundamental Tensile Failure Limits of Mixtures. Journal of the Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists, Vol. 76, pp. 303-344.
Mohseni, A.P.; Cintra, J.C.; Aoki, N. (2007). Influence of footing size and matric suction on the behavior of shallow foundation in collapsible soil. Soils and Rocks, Vol. 30(3), pp. 127-137.