UFTI Student Tyler Valila wins ITE Scholarship Award for 2017-2018 School Year

Tyler Valila, a second-year transportation engineering student, was this year’s recipient for the Institute of Transportation Engineers Scholarship Award. Valila was born and raised in Gardner, Massachusetts. He completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Massachusetts Lowell and graduated Cum Laude in 2016 with a Bachelor of Science in civil engineering. Upon graduating, Valila began graduate studies at the University of Florida.

“With this award, I feel that my work for ITE means that I have helped advance the organization and its mission to spread our love for transportation,” said Valila. “This award has lightened my financial burden and allows me to focus more on my studies and next steps after graduating.”

Valila currently serves as the fundraising chair for the UF ITE student chapter. He previously served as the engineering council representative. In these positions, Valila participated in club potlucks, went to the Transportation Research Board annual meeting, participated in the ITE traffic bowl competition, helped secure an Adopt-A-Highway segment for the chapter, and led a donation drive among other activities. Additionally, he is assisting with the logistics for an upcoming ITE student leadership conference to be hosted by the UF student chapter. His expected graduation date for his Master’s degree is in the fall of 2017.